Wednesday 27 May 2015

Pad Bai Horapha Bhet Yang (Roasted duck stir fried with sweet basil)



Before I begin, could I ask a big favour. On 1st June ‘I Wish I Was In Thailand’ blog will be a year old and I’m amazed to have *almost* reached 1000 followers. It would mean a lot for me if you like Thai food recipes and photography and enjoy my regular posts, you could follow my blog if you haven’t already.
Okay, so this is the last post for a little while until I get to Kuala Lumpur next week. We’ve already got out first reservation at the Fat China Seafood restaurant which apparently has amazing crab, can’t wait to try that and we’re keen to sample Jalan Alor’s street food as an introduction to Malaysian cuisine.
This is the other duck dish which I mentioned in my post on Sunday and let me use up the rest of my roasted duck. I have done a few variations on pad grapao/ horapha before. One with chicken and a fried egg, one with squid but this one, with roasted duck and sweet basil could well be the best; the firm but juicy chunks of roasted duck with it’s stronger taste hold up really well to the punchy garlic/chilli/basil flavours.
For two people use:
  • 1 large roasted duck breast + chunks of any other meat on the duck
  • 3 red chillies, sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • a big splash of oyster sauce
  • a big splash of light soy sauce
  • a big handful of sweet basil leaves (try fresh tarragon as a substitute)
  • a splash of vegetable oil for frying


Pound up the garlic and chillies in a pestle and mortar and leave for just a moment. Heat the oil in a wok until hot and throw in the garlic/chilli paste, stir frying for a few seconds before adding in the duck. As it’s already cooked, it doesn’t need long, perhaps 30 seconds before you add in the two sauces. Stir fry for a further minute or so before turning off the heat and tossing in the sweet basil until it’s just wilted. Serve over white rice.

I started doing IWIWIT as a way to pass some time when I was working and living away from home in a very rural/quiet area and was going mad. This blog started up as a way of passing the evenings; I never imagined I would have over 80 recipes and 1000 followers 1 year later. If you want to see the full web page with all it’s recipes head to www.iwishIwasinthailand.tumblr.com 
Thanks, Naomi x

No comments :

Post a Comment

Tried a recipe? Want some advice? Feel free to drop by with your thoughts!